Day 9 - Favourite scene?
The ending of A Hat Full of Sky. Mildly spoilery if you haven’t read the book!
She reached the place where four rusty iron wheels were half buried in the turf and a pot-bellied stove stood up from the grass. It made a useful seat.
Silence spread out around Tiffany, a living silence, while the sheep danced with the lambs and the world turned.
Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.
The words ran through TIffany’s mind as she watched the sheep, and she found herself fill up with joy — at the new lambs, at life, at everything. Joy is to fun what the deep sea is to a puddle. It’s a feeling inside that can hardly be contained. It came out as laughter.
"I’ve come back!" she announced, to the hills. "Better than I went!"
She snatched off the hat with the stars on it. It wasn’t a bad hat, for show, although the stars made it look like a toy. But it was never her hat. It couldn’t be. The only hat worth wearing was the one you made for yourself, not one you bought, not one you were given. Your own hat, for your own head. Your own future, not someone else’s.
She hurled the starry hat up as high as she could. The wind there caught it neatly. It tumbled for a moment and then was lifted by a gust and, swooping and spinning, sailed away across the downs and vanished for ever.
Then Tiffany made a hat out of the sky and sat on the old pot-bellied stove, listening to the wind around the horizons while the sun went down.
As the shadows lengthened, many small shapes crept out of the nearby mound and joined her in the sacred place, to watch.
The sun set, which is everyday magic, and warm night came.
The hat filled up with stars…
Art by Pimienta on DeviantArt
- silly-cleo likes this
- haldamiri reblogged this from heartofoshun
- haldamiri likes this
- nose-of-the-fox likes this
- tinteundfeder likes this
- felspar likes this
- heartofoshun reblogged this from kaywinnet
- heartofoshun likes this
- kaywinnet reblogged this from regshoe
- serendip8y likes this
- alynnl likes this
- lemonbubble likes this
- jasjabberwocky reblogged this from thedaughterofprospero
- thedaughterofprospero reblogged this from regshoe
- kaywinnet likes this
- regshoe reblogged this from lonelynorway
- madame-maleficent likes this
- frypanfighter reblogged this from lonelynorway
- lonelynorway reblogged this from hapfairy
- awitchbusiness reblogged this from hapfairy
- witchmd reblogged this from hapfairy
- witchmd likes this
- so-snow-comes-after-fire reblogged this from twin-city-ankh-and-morpork
- lonelynorway likes this
- currentboat reblogged this from velarapproximant
- jack-of-arts likes this
- currentboat likes this
- velarapproximant reblogged this from jiggit
- leahsfiction likes this
- rosiethemage reblogged this from jiggit
- jiggit reblogged this from hapfairy
- streetprince reblogged this from twin-city-ankh-and-morpork
- startledgazette likes this
- thatchickwiththebook reblogged this from jazzerpie
- jazzerpie reblogged this from hapfairy
- galaxystew likes this
- mitocondria-24 reblogged this from huntingthehaggis
- huntingthehaggis reblogged this from hapfairy
- jellyfishqu reblogged this from twin-city-ankh-and-morpork
- jellyfishqu likes this
- crazedteensie reblogged this from hapfairy
- happy-thought likes this
- twin-city-ankh-and-morpork reblogged this from hapfairy
- twin-city-ankh-and-morpork likes this
- seiya234 likes this
- serenityscience likes this
- serenityscience said: I love your choices in this challenge uwu
- zip-zippy likes this